21 August 2008

7 Habits of Highly Effective People

I never thought I will enjoy the course.

When I first heard the name of the course, I thought it must be a boring, but maybe useful course? Yes there's positive feedback about the course. But hmm, I'm still rather skeptical about it.

I was surprised when I actually like the course and find it so meaningful. I guess a major reason is because I love the lecturer. She kept the training entertaining by her funny comments and interesting and sad stories she had seen from her counselling experience. A few times, tears welled up at my eyes and I've to control myself very hard not to let them roll down my face when I heard her recite the sad experiences of her patients.

Due to this course, I start to re-think and re-discover about myself. E.g. Who am I? What is the meaning of life? What is the principle I will use to guide my life?

My answer will be courage.
I want to have the courage to overcome all challenges in life.
I want to have the courage to pursue my own happiness.
I want to have the courage to say goodbye to all the unhappy memories in the past and say hi to the happy events entering my life.

Also, I start to re-learn to listen. To know how to listen to friends.
Sometimes what they need is understanding. It might not necessarily be advice.
They need us to look at their problems from their eyes, their perspective.
Because only when we're able to do that, we could truly understand their problems and connect with them. And they will feel they're not alone in the deserts. We might be the oasis that they have been searching all along in the.

Just to share some interesting insights learnt from the course:

(1) The results we GET in life depend on what we DO.
What we DO in life depends on how we SEE the world around us.

(2) When we can no longer change a situation, we're challenged to change ourselves

(3) To my mind, empathy is in itself a healing agent... because it releases, it confirms, it brings even the most frightened person into the human race. If a person is understood, he or she belongs.

(4) Whenever there is a desert, there must be an oasis somewhere

I guess everyone must be thinking, so what are the 7 Habits?

1) Be Proactive (Concentrate on positive behaviour)
2) Begin with the end in mind (Have the goal in mind)
3) Put first things first (Prioritize)
4) Think win-win
5) Seek first to understand then to be understood
6) Synergize (Value the differences and create the synergy with teamwork)
7) Sharpen the saw (Renew self in physical, mental, social and spiritual dimensions)

No comments: